Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cooking Show Teaching with Jing

This has nothing to do with iPads, but it's a neat use of technology. This afternoon I will be talking to my class about copyright and Creative Commons. As part of the talk, I create two brief videos, one using copyrighted pictures and music and one using Creative Commons licensed pictures and music. It doesn't take long to create the videos--about 4-5 minutes each--but the process is a bit repetitive: download a picture, write a citation, add the picture to the movie, add a caption to the picture, and repeat. I like to create things in real time for my students to show them that I'm not secretly doing anything that they can't do. However, 10 minutes of repetitive stuff is too much. What I did is use Jiing to record my process of making the video. After they see one or two pictures added, I can fast forward through some of the repetitive stuff. It reminds me of cooking shows where they start chopping 20 pounds of potatoes but only do one potato and pull out the bowl of previously chopped potatoes. Then they put it in the oven for "two hours" and immediately pull out a finished one. This process allows me to quickly make two videos right before their eyes in a very short time and spend more time focusing on the real lesson, which includes copyright laws, benefits of Creative Commons, and how to find media they can use.

Note my Jing videos don't play on the iPad. I'll have to get the pro version of Jing so I can save them in a format that is not Flash.

David Marcovitz

No comments:

Post a Comment